January 15, 2013

The Pink Pig and August E's

Well hello there! I have a tad bit more to say about Fredericksburg, if you don't mind. :) I won't drag our trip recap out forever, but I would like to tell you about a couple great restaurants we went to, in case any of you plan a trip to f-burg in the future!

It seems like the turnover rate of restaurants and businesses in Fredericksburg is fairly quick. There are several tried and true places that seem to really hold strong, but whenever we go out there, we find that some places we tried in the past have since closed down. Makes me sad... I know it's hard to get a business off the ground, especially in a tourist town where customers don't flow through at the same rate year-round.  But anyway, all that rambling to say that the two spots I'll mention today were SO yummy, and I hope they last! 

The Pink Pig is a new restaurant by pastry chef/cookbook author Rebecca Rather, and it. was. great. The restaurant itself was super cute, the pastries delicious, and the menu food SO good! So good, in fact, that I totally forgot to take pictures of our sandwiches. Oh well. You'll have to take my word for it! Definitely try this place if you're ever in town.



Our three year anniversary is in a few weeks, and this entire trip was kind of a mini-Anniversary-celebration/last hurrah before the spring semester of law school.  So we wanted to have one fancy dinner out while we were there, and August E's felt like the place to go for it. This seems to be one of the more tried and true spots around town (it was alive and kicking all three times we went to Fredericksburg), so we headed over there for our anniversary dinner, and we were not disappointed! Matthew hadn't had sushi (one of his absolute favorites) since moving to Texas from Cali three years ago, and he decided to give Texas sushi a try for the first time at August E's.  He loved it. I've also been wanting to try lobster tail (never had lobster before!), so I went all out and ordered me some lobster tail, dangit. And then we had creme brûlée. And then we went back to the cabin and enjoyed being fat and happy in our little spa tub out back. A good night. :)


We'd definitely recommend either of these places! Happy Tuesday. :)

25 comments:

  1. I was smitten with the cabin - now these restaurants have sealed the deal! Looks like a trip to Texas needs to be on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with shannon. i really want to go to texas now. this looks like so much fun.

    and how many cellular devices is matthew playing with right there?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures have me drooling! Yum! Looks like the Pink Pig has such cute atmosphere...definitely a place I'd love :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the above and would to that sometimes is good to enjoy the food and forget to take pictures (note to self :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both places look amazing!!! Matthew looks like hrs hiding for his life in the first pic of him at the pig place:) ha, men are funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pink Pig looks adorable -- and like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story and pics are nice :) thanks for sharing new things to read everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairly new reader, hello! Just wanted to chime in to say how much I love Fredericksburg, too. It's my favorite little town in Texas. My family and I live out in El Paso, though, so we don't get the chance to go but every few years. Anyway, wanted to say, if you have not been to Rathskeller there before, it gets my vote for best brunch place. The ambiance is probably not as nice as other picks, but the food is great, and it's always filled to the brim with all sorts of characters. Mmm, and the Fredericksburg Pie Company is the best, too, can't forget that one. Sorry if you have mentioned these places before, but like I said, I'm fairly new to your blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for f-burg! And yep, we've been to Rathskeller a couple of times... it's one of the restaurant options for your free lunch or dinner coupon you get when you book with Absolute Charm, and it's one of our favorites out of about six options. The food is really good and it's a cozy little place. :) Need to try the Pie Company!

      Delete
  9. Lobster tail is a thing of beauty. I had my first when we moved to New England several years ago and it was worth the wait. My final semester starts next week, so I understand that innate desire to be together and carefree for a moment longer. Here's to a great semester and lovely husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DID YOU LOVE THE LOBSTER?! Oh em gee. I tried it for the first time maybe like... a couple years ago?! Mind = blown. (Also, same thing with crab, deliiiish)

    I used to hate seafood and now I'm all "nom, nom nom".

    (So much excitement over food, geez, you really know how to get me going, haha!:)

    Side note; I'm pretty impressed with Matthew's chopstick skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's seriously nothing better than being fat and happy at home after a good meal!

    I like that he just hangs out at the table while you go around the restaurant to snap away. Its like he's used to it or something. ;) Do you share w/the employees at all that you'll be doing a 'review' of sorts?

    ps, I heard 1 in 10 new businesses survive the first year in business and then 1 in 5 of those survive the first 5 years in business. Its hard!! Hopefully those places will make it. :)
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Pink Pig! Great name! I love all the wood! It's fun seeing what you saw through the camera's lens...

    ReplyDelete
  13. both places look delicious! The Pink Pig seems to do a great marketing job...all of there little things for sale are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenni, "Texas Sushi" is awesome!! I highly recommend Sushi Zushi! Its mine and my husbands FAVORITE sushi restaurant, and we have been to both the one in Dallas and Southlake. I know there is one in Austin as well, so give it a try! It is probably the freshest sushi I have ever tasted.

    Our 2 year anniversary is coming up in March, and we are hoping for a trip to Vegas. If that doesnt pan out, I am going to try to convince him Fredricksburg is the place for us

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy you weren't done discussing F-town... woa, that sounds weird. F-burg I mean. Ha. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos - can't wait to come visit!!

    P.S. Thank you for your comment on my blog - love your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love these photos - and the food looks delish at such a cute pace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of these restaurants look perfect! And getting photos of your dessert from The Pink Pig makes up for forgetting the main meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just noticed your visit and "thank you". You're most welcome! I DO remember commenting on your post. You've got talent, lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos! I actually live in Greece, so it's very difficult to visit Federicksburg, but I'd like to!
    You actually made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow.. you are beautiful,, and have a nice blog.. two thumbs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The art at August E's looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...