January 3, 2013

Hungarian Beef and Cabbage


The last time my (Hungarian) grandparents came to visit, my sweet Grandma made this delicious dish, which I've since adopted in my own kitchen.  It's flavorful, pretty healthy, cheap, fast, easy, and yummy. Did you know that a whole head of cabbage costs like .90 cents? And it's super rich in nutrients like Vitamin C and K? Well, now you do.

I made this dish up last night, and Matthew gave it a perfect 10. I also rate my meals based on how many contented grunts and groans they achieve from him (what can I say... he's a very vocal eater), and this one definitely gets a high score. This is another one of those dishes that doesn't look all too pretty in pictures, but it sure tastes pretty in your mouth.


Hungarian Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients: 

Half a head of cabbage, shredded
1 lb ground beef
Half a package of sausage - I use Jenni-O smoked turkey sausage. The sausage is optional (I've made it without too), but I think it's much better and more filling with it, and makes it stretch a little farther.
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 TBS of paprika
8 oz can of tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
Sour cream (I use light)

Directions:

Brown beef, sausage, and garlic in a large pot, and drain meat. Add in paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Add shredded cabbage to pot, and cover with a lid, allowing to fully wilt (stir occasionally, about ten minutes).  Add in can of tomato sauce, mix well, and serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream (the sour cream really adds to the flavor, so don't skip it!

Enjoy!

26 comments:

  1. this looks so easy & delicious. i may have to try it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my absolute favorites.... my mouth is watering....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Polish grandma makes a similar recipe -- and it's definitely delicious! I'm a huge fan. Haven't ever tried making it myself, but there's a first time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lens did you use for the first pic? 50mm? 1.8?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This actually looks very good to me!

    I rate how delicious the food is when Sean licks his plate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delish Jenni! Thank you for sharing...I am definitely trying this one out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Yum!! Thanks for sharing ... totally going to try this one soon. The pictures made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i may actually make this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made something very similar the other day and it was so easy and so good! I didn't think to top with sour cream, but will definitely do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum and a half this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My guy is of Hungarian decent and also a very small part of me too - I guess my maternal great-grandparents or something like this - either way. This dish is called "Szegediner Gulasch" if you like to know.

    Funny side note: I love it, but the boy can´t stand it. Only the typical beef goulash :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks super yummy :) I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cabbage and eat it all the time but I never knew it was high in nutrients! what a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really good! Saving it for a day when I have all of those things on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks yum and sounds yum with all those spices,I think it will be perfect for a Bhutanese too!! thanks for sharing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Jenni,
    I always enjoy reading your blog and viewing your pictures, but Thank you for the best Christmas presant of featureing the Hungarian beef and cabbage resipe. It really made my day. I think I'll make it tomorrow. We love it and enjoy hearing you and Matthew enjoy it too. Happy New Year. I love and appreciate you.... <3
    Love,
    Grandma Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenni.

    I don't trust you with this. I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks great! i think i'm going to make this tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made this last night and it was AMAZING! Thank you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad! That's what I like to hear!! :)

      Delete
  20. I made this last night! Amazing!!! I am a lover of cabbage and it seems so hard to find people that like it or recipes that call for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I first made this for my husband a few days after you originally posted this recipe, as his family is also of Hungarian decent... thought I'd let you know that he LOVED it, and it has now become a staple in our home. Thank you for the awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...