January 16, 2013

A salad dressing recipe that will make you want to eat salad.


I know this is sort of an odd topic for a blog post... I mean it IS a recipe, and that's been known to happen around here, but a salad dressing recipe? A little more unusual. So I hope you will assume that it's a damn good salad dressing recipe, or I wouldn't be sharing it.

For real though, I have been making this dressing for some time now, though for a spell there I went many months without making it (just forgot about it, really). Then I rediscovered it one day and was all like "where have you been all my life, or more specifically, the last 6 to 8 months?" We love it. It's so light, so fresh, so flavorful, and really makes a good salad great. Always makes me want to gobble up my greens, whereas before I'd eat them quite begrudgingly. Hope you'll try it!

*serving suggestion: mixed greens, tomato, avocado, fresh mandarin oranges, and candied nuts


Lemon and Shallot Vinaigrette
Serves two (about one cup of packed greens per serving)

Ingredients
3/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp (or so) minced shallots
1/8 tsp salt
Dash of sugar
* * * * *
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions:
Combine juice, vinegar, shallots, salt, and sugar; let stand 15 minutes. (I always start the dressing before the rest of the dinner, then finish it after I'm done prepping the meal). After 15 minutes, add oil and pepper, stirring with a wisk. Poor over salad and toss well. Enjoy!

29 comments:

  1. Looks great! I usually don't like salad, but this looks really nice!

    purpleowlramblings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love salad and am always looking for different types of dressing. Sometimes, oil and vinegar by itself just doesn't cut it for me.
    xo, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. that salad looks so fresh and yummy! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making dressing. This one looks delish, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember the last time I bought a bottle of salad dressing. I make my own every time we make a salad. In my opinion it makes the salad so much better.
    I have made one really similar to this, but it didn't include shallots. I will have to try it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Eat your greens :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good homemade salad dressing! I make one that uses like 20 garlic cloves...not really 20 but a lot and it is my favorite.

    Where do you buy shallots? Is it in the fresh stuff or spices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shallots are by the onions and garlic in the produce department! They are kind of like mini onions!

      Delete
    2. ok duh, I know what you are talking about now! I had a dumb moment!! Haha!

      Delete
  7. Looks great, I'm going to definitely try this one out soon! Pinning now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! I can't wait to try it. I am not the biggest salad fan (I don't like to feel like i'm eating grass) but i'm sure the perfect dressing will really help :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This looks so so good! I'm totally trying this tonight. Thanks for sharing :).

    Have a great day!

    - Talia
    http://rubytiaradiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just pinned this :) I love finding new salad dressings. I'm trying to watch my weight (like everyone ELSE in January haha) and finding a delicious salad dressing is exactly what I need. I also made a Creamy lemon dressing which does have mayo but it's so f-ing good! I'll post the recipe sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this! I've been looking for a good salad dressing to try! Thanks for sharing Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HAD to jot this down.
    I can't wait to try and THANKS for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I DO want to eat salad... gonna do just that today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a Paleo eater and it is often tough to find salad dressing that are compliant with what I can eat. Luckily this recipe is totally allowed! can't wait to test it out!

    X Kenzie

    www.CaveGirlintheCity.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That salad dressing sounds perfect. Pour some on my salad nowwwwwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am obsessed with lemon... so therefore I will be trying this out, especially because despite my LARGE intake of burgers... I do love me a salad every once and a while!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. I love making my own dressings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have GOT to start making my o wn dressing. it's ridiculous, really. i love shallots+ lemon juice already... DOING IT

    ReplyDelete
  19. this sounds yummy. I am loving winter salads recently, mixed greens with roasted butternut squash, bacon, cucumber, corn and walnuts. With a little honey, lemon mustard dressing. Great now im hungry! :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delish!! You always take such beautiful pictures of food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Latest Hot Entertainment News, Latest update about Bollywood, hollywood, pakistani Girls
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. The pictures are so beautifully taken! The Lemon and Shallot Vinaigrette recipe looks like it's to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing like a good salad dressing. So excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG!!! So great that you compiled this list!!! Salad on my menu today and I'm definitely using one of these dressings!!!

    Dressings Company

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...