December 19, 2012

...that flighty temptress, adventure!


My family used to live in Germany when I was little, and our military apartment complex backed up to a vast forest--or it seemed vast, at least, though I have a feeling it would seem worlds smaller now if I were to visit as an adult. My sister and I spent countless hours in the woods, exploring and playing pretend and finding big old bomb craters and blackberry bushes with fruit warm from the sun. We'd pick handfuls of fragrant lily of the valley, our mom's favorite flower, and when our guinea pig, Grettle, died of a broken leg from one too many bids for freedom from her cage, we wrapped her little body in a towel, placed it in a shoebox, and buried her in those woods, her grave marked with "here lies Grettle, a good pig." We visited her often.  

Some of my fondest memories are of Germany and the woods, though it seems like such a distant, distant time. Almost like it never happened at all, like maybe I just read about it. Towards the end of our time overseas, my parents finally got my eyes checked since I always seemed to miss everything everyone else saw (parents: look at the airplane!" Jenni: "Where?!" Parents: "Look at the deer!" Jenni: "WHERE?!"), and it turned out that I had fantastically horrible vision. I always wonder if that's why my childhood seems like such a dream. Pretty sure I was practically blind for the whole thing.

But regardless, I still have these memories of the way the woods made me feel, and that sense of adventure I'd get while trudging along out there with my sister, exploring and playing pretend. And when we're out at the family ranch, even though I'm not really a country girl and don't much like bugs or dirt or hunting, I almost feel like a kid again. Matthew and I go exploring through the parts of the ranch with no roads, looking for shed antlers and bones and whatever else we might discover. And I think when you find something that makes you feel childlike joy, you better jump all over that.

Here's a few pictures from our latest adventures--we had a good haul this time, and found lots of antlers and even an ancient-looking glass canister that appeared to have the remains of ground coffee in it. Pretty darn cool. 

happy little Gracie :)

he looks like a total hick... hehe

my little Cooper boy :)


***Bonus points for whoever knows the speaker of the post title. :)

41 comments:

  1. Dumblebore in the Half-Blood Prince!!! That man has so many great quotes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really freakin' cool! i love the antlers you found.

    And can I just say that Matthew's arms are seriously intimidating?! Does he lift like 400 pounds or something?! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Dumbledore... such a wise wise man!
    This post reminds me so much of my childhood in Kansas tromping through forest and pastures looking for Cattle heads to pull the teeth out of (ummm righting that sounded SUPER CREEPY...but I promise it was innocent fun!)

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dumbledore! This sounds just like my childhood in Georgia. Exploring the woods is just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you guys had such a wonderful weekend! How I love exploring! Sure enjoyed reading (and seeing) all of your treasure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was going to be something about harry potter! I love adventure time too, as long as I don't get too dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE when you post pictures from the ranch! I've never been to TX but that's kinda how I imagine it to be. I'll find out in March when I'm in Austin for business. :)

    I can totally relate to your woodland adventures as a kid. I used to do the same thing. I would always be off in the woods near my house with my brother and sister. We would look for rocks and newts. I had a pretty impressive rock collection as a kid. Well, not really...but I thought it was impressive lol. Oh I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow I love that. What a sweet childhood; just chillin' in the woods of Germany. Sounds pretty romantic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to live as a kid. That story seems so fun, must have been neat to just wander in the woods and see all that wildlife! And
    Jenni, these pictures are just gorgeous!! I feel the cool breeze just looking at the pictures. Just curious, are you using any particular action to edit or just doing whatever your eyes see? I've been contemplating on buying some photoshop actions, that's why I ask (since you are kind of an expert =P)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was totally picturing myself there as your described your adventures in Germany with your sister. That's when you know you've done an excellent job writing. :) And I want to kiss your doggies. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love our photos of the ranch so, so much! You have such an eye for photography, Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, that's sad about you missing everything. :/
    and i think your husband looks totally normal. ha! well, not totally abnormal anyway. you should've seen what we saw on our trip to bass pro shops last weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your writing, you suck me in every time! What a magical place :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the story of your childhood adventures! I loved exploring as a child, there seemed to be adventure and a magical story around every corner! Beautiful photographs of your trek into the woods. Your story about not being able to see made me laugh ("where??") but I'm glad you got that fixed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw you look so cute in the red scarf. I am looking for a similar scarlet-red scarf. But when I see, the colour is never as perfect as yours. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. adventures are the best :) going exploring is my go to thing to do when I'm bored! Love these pictures- they look like they are out of a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking but nobody will say...look at that perky booty! :0)

    xo
    -W.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice way to remember your childhood (blurry though it might be...which btw, I am there with you). Now you're showing Gracie and Cooper the ropes too :) I never get tired of seeing them on here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny you're all bundled up and he's in a t and pants. I never can understand how men are impervious to cold. haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. What in God's name is Matthew wearing? Haha! I know he hunts, but it's so funny to know that he was wearing that while on a walk with his fashionable wife!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Obvi the title is a Dumbledore (to Harry) quote from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. It's one of my faves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's the best of both worlds! Your photography AND your writing! You paint a nostalgic picture of your childhood. This makes me think of my friends Christy and Chad, who are moving their 5 children to the states after 7 1/2 years in Germany. The memories their kids have will no doubt last a lifetime. Terrific post today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos jenni as always

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fun adventure! I guarantee I would come back empty handed if that were me...you definitely know how to find the good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You make me want to go on an adventure in the woods-never thought I'd say that! Love the antlers :D

    http://mylifebeingrenewed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the pictures you bring back from the ranch! I'm definitely more city too....But, I had my fair share of tomboy type adventures outside. Fun to remember those times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! My name is Ebby and I live in portugal, I found you blog today and I like very well (sorry if my english isn't correct). I love the pictures :) Good work here in blog :) Can you follow me? I write in my blog in Portuguese but you can translate :) Please can you read my blog? http://blog-my-secret-world.blogspot.pt/ I think you go love (you like fashion, right?)
    Your opinion to me is very important :) Follow me please :)

    With all my love,

    Ebby

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm in my 30's and totally got pulled back to my childhood of loving adventures and exploring just reading this. Makes me want to go on an adventure! Love the Dumbledore quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. laryvitoriano.blogspot.com -> Follow! It's worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh man, your story cracked me up. My vision isn't too bad but when I first got contacts I was shouting about being able to see individual leaves on a tree because before I would just see a green circle above the tree trunk >:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always love the pictures you bring back from the ranch. It looks like a fun time and those antlers, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So fun that you guys have a spot to do stuff like that...exploring and treasure hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. this completely brought me back to my childhood. If only that sense of freedom and adventure stayed within us as strong as it began.

    ReplyDelete
  34. More adventure is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...