December 14, 2011

The World Needs More Love Letters

I believe in the power of the written word.  I value it above most other things in my life—words and the way in which they’re written have always been a huge part of who I am, and I’ve always known how powerful they can be.  Especially in their written, readable, tangible, eternal form—on paper and with pen. 

December is a time of year when you’re constantly being asked to give to charity, and of course we’re all feeling more generous around now, anyway.  But unfortunately, most of us don’t have a lot of funds to spare. (*RAISES HAND*) Yep, hello law school AKA a seriously fixed income!

So when I was introduced to a campaign and website called the The World Needs More Love Letters and was asked to participate in the “12 days of love letter writing,” I recognized it for what it is: an INCREDIBLE way to do something that MATTERS this holiday season, for only the cost of a piece of stationary and a stamp.

I was assigned Day 10 of the 12 days of love letter writing—each of which is dedicated to gathering “love letters” for one particular person in need of encouragement this holiday season.  I hope you will take the time to join me today!  Each of the 12 recipients will be mailed a bundle of letters, and how incredible would it be if a letter from YOU was among them too?  So simple, and so impactful your words could be. 

Day 10’s person in need is named Denise and described here, in a letter from her daughter:

“When I was younger my mom was there to hold my hand every time I got a shot and she was the face on the sidelines of all my games cheering me on as I dribbled the soccer ball to the goal. As I grew up she was my source of guidance as I was choosing colleges and the voice of reason when I wanted to break down and quit. Without having to look back I knew she was always right behind me should I trip and would be there to pick me up and push me forward. I have leveled on my own two feet due to her guidance and love and now she has come to me for help.

Recently my mom divorced from her second husband and lost her job. She lives across the country in California with no family by her side and she has lost her way to a long bout of depression. Last month she tried to commit suicide and I was the last text she sent with a cry for help. I contacted the police and she was resuscitated and I flew out there on the earliest flight to be with her but ever since that time I haven’t seen the light in her eyes that I grew up knowing.

I heard of this idea that a love letter could be sent to her and I thought this would be something that would really show her that despite the darkness she sees there is so much love in the world and if she reaches out there are many hands willing to help. I want her to smile again, not the superficial smile to show people that she is trying to get a long, but the one deep from within where she truly feels warm and content. I just want my mom to be happy and I believe this is something that can bring some hope to her situation."

Please write her a note of encouragement on your nicest stationary and mail it here within a week:

More Love Letters 
Denise’s bundle 
PO Box 2061,
North Haven, CT 06473

We were asked to document the letter writing process, so here are a few shots from this morning:

Love Letters 022-1 Love Letters 024-2 Love Letters 030-1 Love Letters 038-1 oops, I wrote 2010… will fix!

Love Letters 055-2 Love Letters 059-2 Love Letters 064-1 

You guys, feel free to write your own blog post about this today or just write a letter to Denise and send it in within a week of today.  It doesn’t have to be long—just a note of encouragement and support.  If you choose to write a letter, I’d love it if you let me know in a comment!

For more info, visit the More Love Letters website and the blog or send me an email!

jennisig

37 comments:

  1. i LOVE LOVE LOVE this movement. I wrote one a while back.

    http://www.busygirlblog.com/2011/09/what-world-needs.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is a great idea. sometimes a little hope and encouragement from others is just what someone needs. i'm checking out their site!
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenni,

    I'm a fellow "more love letter writer" from day 4ish.

    Totally agree that it's nice to do something that matters this holiday season (and every day). I burned out on the gift giving and associated madness and welcomed this opportunity to do something heartfelt.

    Cute site!

    Giulietta
    http://www.giuliettathemuse.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome way to connect. We lack that so much in society today with the convenience of technology. How great is it to open up your (real) mailbox and have a card or letter just for you. Will definitely look into this and adding Denise to my prayer lists too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Tears at work and it's not even 10 a.m. yet. :(

    What a great idea... and now I've got Denise on my mind, so she'll be in my prayers too. Letters + prayers. Definitely something I can support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly an amazing idea. I too love to write people. A few years ago for lent I decided instead of "giving up something" I would do something instead. So I decided for the 40 days I would write a letter or send a card to someone. I have been doing it ever since. Of course I cut back and don't do it every day, but I send two personal letters a month. Its such a great way to make someone smile.
    I will be sending a letter to Denis for sure.
    Thanks
    Meghan
    http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing and truly inspiring. I think I might have to jump on board!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful idea! I am going to check the website out right now!

    xoxo
    Petchie
    http://itsallofthelittlethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic project! I am a big proponent of letter writing--always sending birthday/special occasion cards, handwritten letters to grandparents who don't use email, and I've even been known to mail letters to the boyfriend when we lived a mile apart. It can truly make someone's day to receive a piece of mail that isn't a bill or otherwise junk. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Melissa
    housesweetitis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. jenni you're such a beautiful person for doing this

    you're so right...i always feel more giving during the holiday season...i sponsored a single low-income family (mother daughter) and got to go shopping for them and had sucha blast because I knew how much they would appreciate it. It really made me feel good inside :-)

    love this idea Jenni

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This can be very powerful and I would be honored to be a part. Praying now that the right words are written to be exactly what she needs.

    Awesome, Jenni. Thanks for making us aware of this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely! I am so happy to be apart of "The World Needs More Love Letters."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commented earlier but I just finished my write up at: http://mylifethejugglingact.blogspot.com/2011/12/world-needs-more-love-letters.html I hope I did it justice! Thanks again for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it does not appear that my other comment posted. The gist of the first comment was thank you, love this campaign and the letter is written and will go out ASAP. Blogged about it as well (link above). Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a sweet idea. I hope it helps her regain her smile and hope.
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh jenni, this is lovely. How did you find this?? I went to the website. Sent in a request for day 17. did they respond to you via email???

    you're truly a wonderful woman!! Just wanted to remind you of that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really great cause! It's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww what a great idea! Love letters are definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, what an amazing thing to do. The letter from the daughter almost brought tears to my eyes.. can you just imagine what her life might be like? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenni, I'm so glad you shared this -- I'm absolutely, 100 percent with you: the written word is such a powerful and necessary force. I'll absolutely be writing to Denise today and hope to write many more letters in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful, wonderful project!

    I am a big believer in the written word and faithfully send out cards for the Holidays (for me, this is the Jewish New Year and Chanukkah :)).

    I will try and blog about this as soon as I get the opportunity!

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a wonderful idea and her daughter's letter made me teary. What a great way to "give" during this holiday season. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for blogging about this, I will write Denise a letter tonight. What an incredible way to touch someone's heart this season.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cool idea! I'm away from town but signed up on the site for Sundays letter. Will blog about it as well to spread the word. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such an amazing project- definitely checking out their website. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a wonderful and great cause. You have a heart of Gold Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh. I have NEVER heard of such a thing but I totally just went and signed up. Needless to say, I'll be anxiously awaiting their response in hopes to write someone a little love note this holiday season. :)

    SO sweet of you! Thanks for sharing girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the written word too, especially in this day and age! I'll be lucky to get a handwritten letter!
    It's crazy how letters were how we used to be able to talk to each other, but now it's forgotten a lot.
    Gosh, my old friend and I used to write 'letters' filled in notebooks to each other! I wished I still had them...
    But this is a great thing to take part in! I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea! Letter is written and will be in the mail tomorrow! Sending warm thoughts to this woman and her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE THIS JENNI! Mind if I repost this?? I'll link to your blog, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wrote my letter and finally did a blog post! thanks again for the inspiration. Plan to keep this up in 2012. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. wrote my letter and finally did a blog post! thanks again for the inspiration. Plan to keep this up in 2012. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. wrote my letter and finally did a blog post! thanks again for the inspiration. Plan to keep this up in 2012. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Landed here frim your mother's blg, and she is right, I do need tissues :( and I do understand, we are in the middle of a similar decision and it is so hard ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...