August 20, 2011

The most delicious salmon recipe in the world.

I know that’s quite a claim, but Matthew and I both agree on this, so that settles it.  I’ve been meaning to share this salmon recipe with you guys for a while now, because it’s so, so easy and so, so healthy… and amazingly delicious of course! 

Salmon is a tricky fish because it can often be strong and sometimes “fishy” (in a bad way), which is the criticism most people have for it.  But I swear, I make this dish about once every week or two, and for some reason the combination of flavors ALWAYS cancels out any fishiness.  Better yet, there's NO butter or fatty ingredients in either recipe I'm about to share! You must try them.  Betcha anything it will become a favorite go-to dish on busy nights when you still want to eat healthy!

Aug19 023
Maple Glazed Salmon with Quick Skillet Asparagus and Jasmine Rice

For the Salmon:
(serves 2)

You need
2 Alaskan Salmon fillets, about 1/2 lb each (remove skin)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground ancho chili powder
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Maple syrup (I use whatever kind I have on hand for pancakes, etc)

***I always buy spices like the ancho chili powder in the bulk food section of my grocery store; you can fill a little bag of it for something like 16 cents!***

Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking dish with foil.  Place salmon in dish.
Mix all spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over salmon, coating it well. 
Bake salmon for 25 minutes or to desired doneness.  Once out of the oven, drizzle with maple syrup and serve!

For the asparagus:
(serves 2)

You need
About half a pound of asparagus, trimmed
2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind/zest
A lemon wedge
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirl to coat.
Add asparagus to pan and cook about 3 minutes or until it's crisp-tender and slightly browned, stirring frequently.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, the lemon zest, and squeeze in a little lemon juice.  Serve!


Jasmine rice is our favorite addition to this meal.  It's so fragrant and delicious!  But brown rice or any other rice would be great too.

I hope you make this and love it as much as we do! :)



PS - Fun fact: asparagus makes your pee smell exactly like asparagus.  Don't say I didn't warn you!

PPS - Both of these recipes were adopted from Cooking Light and slightly modified.  Original salmon recipe here and asparagus recipe here.

39 comments:

  1. This recipe is really similar to the Bobby Flay salmon recipe I made with Tyler a few weeks ago! This has less ingredients and seems a little easier so we will be trying this out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOoooooo! This is going on the dinner to do list right now, Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously on the pee asparagus thing. I've finally got my boyfriend to eat it and he says "but it makes my pee smell weird". Ugh, don't worry about it, just drink more water!

    This looks so yummy. I'll be sure to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the infamous asparagus pee. Gotta love it! And it's so instant too, like the minute after you eat it. Haha, TMI? This recipe looks amazing. We love salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE jasmine rice..my fav in the states is the ones at trader joes. so easy, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this does look pretty delicious :) going to tuck it away for future use! :)

    http://breatheandhush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds fantastic! I actually love salmon and have one or two ways to make it. Definitely adding this to the list! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll make it. I like how you can bake it in the oven... Looks fantastic! Made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this! I really struggle with making salmon because I love it with just lemon on it but for my husband it's way too fishy that way, so I've started trying a few different seasonings and I think this will be the next. I wonder how it would hold up on the grill? With it being summer I try and do the majority of my food on the grill.

    Also, who cares about pee smell when the reward is delicious asparagus! Again another grill option is to let is marinade it Newman's Own Italian dressing and throw it on the grill - ohmylanta it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMM I love salmon! & am always looking for new ways to cook it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks yummy!!! I've been looking for a new salmon recipe. I like to use a marinade made from lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, and olive oil (it's delish - you should try it!) but I want something a little different. I'll have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm totally not a salmon fan but i may actually be willing to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made me hungry! I am not a fish loving person but I will give it a try. It might make me a fish loving person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm I am going to have to try this! Salmon is one of my favorites. I have only had it with Mrs. Dash or garlic seasonings. Thanks for the recipe!

    http://bronsonbloopers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great! I just picked up Salmon this week at the store, so now I can try a new way to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe looks and sounds sooo delish! I am trying it out for tomorrow nights dinner.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum, that sounds amazing! if I ever splurge on salmon I hope I remember this recipe. gotta love Cooking Light!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, done and done. This recipe is going on my to-do list for next week. That looks so good and I have been searching for a good salmon recipe! Kyle can be really picky when it comes to seafood but this looks amazing.

    YAY. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that looks sooo good! i want to make it!!! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing this! I cook salmon at least once a week but I always cook it in the same way and I've been getting a little bored! I'll definitely be trying this recipe during the week xxx PS Thanks for the warning about asparagus pee :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy... I know what I'm going to be making for dinner tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this looks amazing!! I can't wait to make this recipe, hopefully it will turn out as good as yours did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yuuum, definitely have to try this soon! Sunds so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious! I love salmon and asparagus...especially within the same meal :) So yummy. I'll have to try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want that TONIGHT!! Yummm! I might have to make that to win a boys heart :)

    Sabrina Says

    ReplyDelete
  26. My. Favorite. Foods. Salmon & Asparagus. You've won me over, again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I just drooled everywhere. Can't wait to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks delish, I'll have to try it! That's funny, I hate seafood and fish, but Salmon is the only fish that I'll eat. I had no idea that it was known for it's "fishy taste." :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks for sharing the recipe! I'm a newbie when it comes to Salmon, so I love finding new recipes that people love! Can't wait to try it later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey I tried this and it was delicious

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Miss Jenny, I just made this tonight and it was AMAZING. We just bought salmon today, and I remembered you posting this recipe awhile back. Soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for this delicious recipe! My husband loved the chili powder kick and I liked that it was a little sweet but still spicy. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh YUM!!! I'm printing this right now and going to make it this week!!! Thank you!

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just ate this salmon. As soon as the salmon flakes with a fork, take it off the grill. I grilled the salmon on a steel platter. It was absolutely delicious, except we used 2 tsps. of brown sugar, and used two 1/4 tsps. of chili powder, since we didn't have the ancho type. We also did not use any syrup...and I brushed Smart Balance butter over it. Wow! I will use this again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Making for my moms bday dinner tonight! Thanks! Fun to find your blog too as I searched for recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So easy and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...